21 JANUARY 2003
TANK IN-SERVICE INSPECTION CHECKLIST
Check off each item when completed.
1. Inspect for broken concrete, spalling, and cracks,
particularly under backup bars used in butt-welded
annular rings under the shell.
2. Inspect drain openings in ring, back of water-drawn
basins, and top surface of ring for bottom leakage.
3. Inspect for cavities under foundation and vegetation
against tank bottom.
4. Check for settlement around perimeter of tank.
1. Check for tank settlement into asphalt base that would
direct runoff rainwater under the tank instead of away
2. Look for areas where oil leaching has exposed the rock
filler, indicating a hydrocarbon leak.
Oiled Dirt or Sand
Check for settlement into the base that would direct
runoff rainwater under the tank instead of away from it.
The presence of crushed rock under the steel bottom
usually results in severe underside corrosion. Make a
note for additional bottom plate examination (ultrasonic,
hammer testing, or turning of coupons) when the tank is
out of service.
1. Check site for drainage away from the tank and
2. Check operating condition of the pipe drains.
Inspect the area for buildup of trash, vegetation, and