21 JANUARY 2003
External Visual Inspection
1. Visually inspect for paint failure, pitting, and
2. Inspect the bottom-to-foundation seal (if applicable)
Internal (Floating Roof Tank)
Visually inspect for grooving, corrosion, pitting, and
Wind Girder (Floating Roof Tank)
1. Inspect wind girder and handrail for corrosion damage
(paint failure, pitting, and corrosion product buildup -
especially where it occurs at tack-welded junctions) and
2. Check support welds to the shell for pitting, especially
on shell plates.
3. Note whether supports have reinforcing pads welded to
Manways and Nozzles
1. Inspect for cracks or leaks on weld joints at nozzles,
manways, and reinforcing plates.
2. Inspect for shell plate dimpling around nozzles caused
by excessive pipe deflection.
3. Inspect for flange leaks and leaks around bolts.
4. Inspect insulation seal around manways and nozzles.
1. Inspect manifold piping, flanges, and valves for leaks.
2. Inspect firefighting system components.
3. Check for anchored piping that would be hazardous to
the tank shell or bottom connections during earth
4. Check for adequate thermal pressure relief of piping to
5. Check regulator operation for tanks with purge gas
6. Check sample connections for leaks and proper valve
7. Check temperature indicators for damage and test their