21 JANUARY 2003
8. Check welds on shell-mounted davit clips above
152-mm (6-in) and larger valves.
1. Inspect autogauge tape guide and lower sheave
housing (floating swings) for leaks.
2. Inspect autogauge head for damage.
3. Bump the checker on the autogauge head for proper
movement of the tape.
4. Ask the operator if the tape tends to hang up during
tank roof movement (floating roof tanks).
5. Compare actual product level to the autogauge reading
(maximum allowable variation is 51 mm [2 in]).
6. On floating roof tanks, when the roof is in the lowest
position, check that no more than 0.6 m (2 ft) of tape are
exposed at the end of the tape guide.
7. Inspect the condition of board and legibility of board-
8. Test freedom of movement of marker and float.
Shell-Mounted Sample Station
1. Inspect sample lines for valve function and line
plugging, including return-to-tank line drain.
2. Check circulation pump for leaks and operating
3. Test bracing and supports for sample lines and
Deck Plate External Corrosion
Inspect roof deck for paint failure, holes, pitting, and
Look for evidence of standing water. (Significant sagging
of fixed-roof deck shows potential rafter failure. Large
standing water areas on a floating roof show inadequate
drainage design, or, if to one side, a non-level roof with
possible leaking pontoons.)
1. Inspect for cracks or leaks in the insulation weather
coat where runoff water could penetrate the insulation.
2. Inspect for wet insulation under the weather coat.