21 JANUARY 2003
3. Remove small test sections of insulation and check
roof deck for corrosion and holes near the edge of the
1. Inspect condition and functioning of sample hatch
2. On tanks governed by Air Quality Monitoring District
rules, check the condition of the inside hatch cover seal.
3. Check thief and hatch gauge cover for corrosion and
4. Where a sample hatch is used to reel gauge stock level,
check for marker and tab stating hold-off distance.
5. Check reinforcing pad where sample hatch pipe
penetrates the roof deck.
6. On floating roof sample hatch and recoil systems,
inspect operation of recoil reel and condition of rope.
7. Test system operation.
1. Inspect visible portion of the gauge well for thinning,
size of slots, and cover condition.
2. Check for hold-off distance marker and tab with hold-
off distance (legible).
3. On floating roofs, inspect condition of roof guide for
gauge well, particularly the condition of the rollers for
4. If accessible, check the distance from the gauge well
pipe to the tank shell at different levels.
5. If tank has a gauge well washer, check valve for leaks
and for presence of a bull plug or blind flange.
Fixed Roof Scaffold Support
Inspect scaffold support for corrosion, wear, and
Autogauge Inspection Hatch and Guides (Fixed Roof)
1. Check the hatch for corrosion and missing bolts.
2. Look for wire anchor corrosion on the tape guide and
Autogauge Float Well Cover
1. Inspect for corrosion.