21 JANUARY 2003
2. Check tape cable for wear or fraying caused by
rubbing on the cover.
Sample Hatch (Internal Floating Roof)
1. Check overall condition.
2. If equipped with a fabric seal, check for automatic
sealing after sampling.
3. If equipped with a recoil reel opening device, check for
Roof-Mounted Vents (Internal Floating Roof)
Check condition of screens, locking pins, and pivot pins.
Gauging Platform Drip Ring
On fixed-roof tanks with drip rings under the gauging
platform or sampling area, inspect drain return to the tank
Emergency Roof Drains
Inspect vapor plugs for emergency drain; ensure that seal
fabric discs are slightly smaller than the interior diameter
of the pipe, and that fabric seal is above the liquid level.
Removable Roof Leg Racks
Check for racks on roof.
Record size, number, and type of vacuum breakers.
Inspect vacuum breakers; if high legs are set, check for
setting of mechanical breaker in high-leg position.
1. Check condition of the screen on the rim vent cover.
2. Check for plating off or removal of rim vents where
jurisdictional rules do not permit removal.
Pontoon Inspection Hatches
1. Open pontoon inspection hatch covers and check
inside for pontoon leakage.
2. Test for explosive gas (an indicator of vapor space
Checklist derived from API Standard 653, Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction