1 January 2001
Dry Pipe Automatic Sprinkler Systems. Technical guidance for these tasks
is contained in NFPA 25.
Table 2-3. Dry Pipe Automatic Sprinkler Systems ITM Tasks
1. Control Valves (without lock 1. Verify valve position.
1. Control Valves (locked or
1. Verify valve position.
2. Waterflow Alarm Devices
1. Operate to verify initiation and
receipt of alarm.
2. Verify alarm test valve align-
ment and tamper switch (if
3. Dry Pipe Alarm Valve and Trim 1. Visually inspect exterior of valves,
gauges, trim alignment.
2. Verify valve pressure and legi-bility of
4. Main Drain
1. Conduct main drain test to verify
supply (valve position).
5. Fire Department Connection
1. Verify accessibility and condition.
2. If caps removed or missing,
check for obstructions.
6. Dry Pipe Alarm Valve
1. Verify operability at beginning of
heating season (for constant cold
7. Low Temperature Alarm
1. Verify initiation and receipt of
8. Low Point Drains
1. Drain all low points to remove
1. Control Valves
1. Operate valve through entire travel to
2. Lubricate valve stem.
2. Dry Pipe Alarm Valves
1. Trip valve to verify operability.
2. Inspect internal condition before
resetting and clean valve seat.
3. Check priming water level
(before and after trip test).