TM 5-628/AFR 91-44
d. Track geometry.. Turnout track geometry
(3) Worn or chipped switch points. (See
para 8-3c and fig 8-3.)
shall conform with the standards in chapter 12 as
well as those in this chapter.
(4) Point of switch higher than stock rail.
e. Reversing tangent. It is recommended that
(See para 8-3d(1) and fig 8-4.)
the tangent between the frog and any reverse curve
(5) Point rail beyond taper lower than stock
rail. (See para 8-3d(2) and fig 8-4.)
past the frog be no less than 50 feet in length as
shown in figure 8-2.
(6) Damaged or missing switch stand lever
latches or switch point lock. (see para 83e)
(7) Insecure, loose, damaged, or improperly
installed switch stand. (See para 8-3f and 8-2g)
(8) Loose, damaged, or missing jam nut at
the switch stand end of the connecting rod. (See
(9) Bent, damaged, loose, binding, or
improperly installed connecting rod, switch rods, or
switch clips. (See para 8-3g)
(10) Loose, damaged, or missing switch
clip, switch rod, or connecting rod bolts. (See para
(11) Loose, damaged, or missing heel bolts;
f. Switch stand placement.
cracked or improper heel joint bars or heel filler.
(See para 8-3i)
(1) The switch stand stall be installed so that
when the switch is lined for the normal (main)
(12) Loose, damaged, or missing rail braces.
(See para 8-3j)
route, the connecting rod keeps the points closed
with a pulling (rather than a pushing) force. In most
(13) Loose, damaged, or missing slide
cases this will mean installing the stand on the
plates; dirt and debris buildup on slide plates.
diverging side of the turnout as shown in figure 8-
(14) Missing cotter keys on switch rod and
switch clip bolts.
(2) When a ground-throw stand is used, the
handle shall point toward the frog when the switch
(16) Debris obstructing switch rods and
connecting rod. (See para 8-3g(1))
is lined for the normal (main) route.
g. Cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.
Switches and switch stands shall be cleaned, lubri-
cated, and adjusted at least annually.
8-3. Switches and switch stands.
a. Switches shall be inspected for the following
(1) Switch difficult to operate.
(2) Gap greater than c (0.125) inch
between the switch point and the stock rail.
Checked with points in both positions. (See para 8-