6 December 2006
Including change 1, 7 December 2006
. Provide barricades around every excavation area. Keep
warning barricade (cones, tape, and other items providing no physical protection) 5 ft
(1.5 m) from the excavation. A protective barricade may be placed closer since it
provides both a warning and physical protection. Protective barricades must have a
withstand rating of at least 200 lb (90 kg) in any direction with minimal deflection. Never
enter an excavation deeper than 4 ft which does not have a safe access-way, which has
not been inspected by a competent person before allowing an entrance, or which has
equipment working next to the edge. Comply with requirements stated in 29 CFR 1926,
Subpart P, (Excavations)
. Identify underground lines and services prior
Table 3-3. Excavation Pre-Survey Checklist
Prior to leaving
1. Ensure location of underground cables has been established.
2. Verify that field sketch is available.
3. Obtain as-built/maps from facility owner(s).
4. Have subsurface facility engineering performed.
5. Conduct pre-construction meetings with facility owner(s).
On the job site.
1. Check for field sketch.
2. Verify all facility marks on ground.
3. Verify all service feeds from houses or buildings. All should be marked
or noted above ground. Draw sketch. Check for: pedestals, risers, and
new trench lines.
4. Verify position of dig area to sketch.
5. Check for private facilities not marked.
6. Advise facilities owner of excavation.